Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!

Monday, October 31, 2016

Twig Wreath Birthday

I have been trying to use the "ink smooshing technique" 
to create watercoloured backgrounds. 
 I find this a very difficult process, but I like the results 
on other people's card designs, so I keep on trying!! 
I used a combination of  orange, yellow, greens to make this 
background and then used it to finish a birthday card for one of my nieces.

I cut the center of the panel using the Twig Wreath Die. 
This was attached to a Rustic Cream card base. 
The sentiment (Birthday Style) was stamped with VersaMark ink 
and then heat embossed with Gold Embossing Powder. 
I cut several Twig Wreath die cuts in order to stack them 
and create added dimension. 
The wreath image was stamped and heat embossed on 
one of the layers before adding it to the top of the stack.

The floral arrangement on the wreath was made by 
die cutting and stamping various images from the Twig Wreath set. 
Summer Sunrise, Canyon Clay and gold embossed centers 
complete three flowers. 

The leaves and foliage were also stamped using those 
same colours along with Orange Zest, New Leaf and gold embossing. 
All of these pieces were arranged using foam adhesive tape.

Thanks for visiting today.
Karen C.

Saturday, October 29, 2016

Birthday Fiesta

Like many others, I always struggle with cards 
for the guys in my life. 
I decided to use the Circle Cover Plate 
to make a birthday card for my son, 
and after several attempts, here's the final product!
I cut the cover plate from Stamper's Select White, 
but after choosing the colour scheme I wanted 
to add some colour to the frame. 
I used Lemon Tart, Harvest Gold and Bright Buttercup 
to "smoosh" colour on the frame. 
The overall colour scheme was determined by the 
fun "Fiesta Stripes" (Reminisce) patterned paper.
The circles and other inserts were cut from 
Pure Poppy, New Leaf and the patterned paper 
and then inserted into the corresponding openings.

The focal panel was created by stamping the 
balloon strings (Everyday Button Bits) 
onto a yellow "smooshed" background with a blue mat. 
The three balloons were cut with a 5/8" circle punch 
and embossed with a Polka Dot Embossing folder. 
White highlights were added with a gel pen, and then 
they were 'popped-up' with foam dimensional tape.
The sentiment (Scene It: Celebration) 
was stamped with Star Spangled Blue (Close To My Heart) 
onto  Rustic Cream card stock. 
Using the shaped saying as a guide, 
I hand cut the sentiment panel, sponged the edges and 
then added it to the front with foam tape.
Supplies (PTI unless noted)
Stamps - Everyday Button Bits, Scene It: Celebrations
Inks - Lemon Tart, Harvest Gold, Bright Buttercup, 
CTMH: Star Spangled Blue
Paper - Rustic Cream, Stamper's Select White, New Leaf, 
Blue (from stash);
Reminisce: Fiesta Stripes
Dies - Circle Cover Plate
Other - Aida Cloth Impression Plate; 5/8" circle punch; 
Bright White Gelly Roll pen; Foam Adhesive tape;  
Cuttlebug: Polka Dot Embossing folder

Thanks for visiting today.
Karen C.

Thursday, October 27, 2016

Quilted Gift Bag & Potholder

If you saw this post about my son's wedding, 
you will recognize the fabrics for this project! 
I wanted to use all of the bits and pieces of material 
leftover from the art folders and bibs.
I decided to make a quilted tote bag and pot holder 
for my new daughter-in-law. 
Since I wasn't able to attend any bridal showers 
(Vancouver is a looong way from home!)  
I packed this bag with towels and some extra treats 
to give Lea and Ian when we arrived for their wedding.

I started by cutting a square of blue fabric that 
became the center of the design. 
From there I added strips of printed and blue fabric 
and then small triangles of the printed material. 
Blue and printed borders finished the front design. 
To complete the bag each piece (front, back and sides) 
were machine quilted and then handles and a lining 
were added. This makes the bag very sturdy and durable.

A large red button creates a colurful focal point on the front.

I made a quilted potholder with the last of the 
printed and blue fabrics. I used a wool quilt batting 
and a decorative machine stitch to quilt each of the sides  
before stitching them together.
Side one of the Potholder

Side 2 of the Potholder
Thanks for visiting today.
Karen C.