Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Friday, September 19, 2014

Star Struck: Birthday x 2

I've been having a blast playing with Papertrey Ink's Star Cover Plate
There's so many fun cards using it so I ordered it this summer.  
I've made 5 cards with various colour combinations and 
techniques, and I'll be sharing them over the few days.
The first 2 cards I have today are great for masculine cards.


Wishing You ....

The cover plate was used to emboss the star images into the front of a white card base. Then I used the cover plate to cut the stars from another piece of white card stock. After deciding on a colour scheme (inks listed below), I stamped each star with a polka dot stamp (Day-By-Day Blocks Mini set). The individual stars were glued onto the card front, using the previously embossed images for placement. This technique creates a flat single layer effect.
The sentiment (Purls of Wisdom) was stamped using with 
dark blue ink. (Close To My Heart: Outdoor Denim)


Extra detail was added with piece of blue Baker's Twine tied around the top edge of the card front, leaving longer tails hanging from the knot.  
Four dark blue stars were cut (Loves Live Here: Holiday die); then glued together at the ends. (Each end of the twine is sandwiched between 2 stars). Amber star rhinestones were added to these stars.

The inside of the card was finished with 3 die cut stars. 
The sentiment is from Reasons To Smile.

PTI Supplies, unless noted
Stamps - Day By Day Blocks Mini Stamps; Purls of Wisdom (sentiment); 
Reasons To Smile (inside sentiment)
Inks - Blueberry Sky, Harvest Gold, Summer Sunrise, Limeade Ice, New Leaf; 
Close To My Heart: Outdoor Denim, Lilac Mist
Paper - Stamper's Select White, Enchanted Evening
Dies - Star Cover Plate, Love Lives Here: Holiday dies (star)
Other -American Crafts Blue Baker's Twine; amber Star Rhinestones


Wish Upon A Star ...

For this card, I cut another piece of white card stock. The stars were stamped with a variety of colours using Day-By-Day Blocks (polka dot image).  The white card base front was covered with lines of adhesive so that I could attach the star cover panel. This also allowed me to place the stars into the openings without having to add any more glue or adhesives.


Finishing Details:
The Sketched Star die was cut several times - one from white card stock and 
one from dark blue card stock. These were glued to another piece of card 
stock to create the star embellishment and then 'popped up' onto the 
card front. The sentiment (Star Prints) was added with dark blue ink; 
three small stars and several bitty dots accent the sentiment.

PTI Supplies, unless noted
Stamps - Day By Day Blocks Mini Stamps, Star Prints
Inks - Spring Rain, Canyon Clay, Summer Sunrise, Harvest Gold, Simply Chartreuse;  
Close To My Heart: Outdoor Denim, Olive, Black
Paper -Stamper's Select White, Enchanted Evening
Dies - Star Cover Plate, Sketched Stars
Other -Small Star Punch; Close To My Heart Bitty Dots; foam dots

Card Interior:
I got a little carried away with stamping stars inside!! 
(Same colour scheme as the front)
The sentiment was created with Movers and Shakers (Happy Birthday) 
and Mum's the Word (horizontal sentiment strip).

I searched my stamps for various sizes of stars - 
It's Official,  Monthly Moments: July,  Star Prints.


This is such a great cover plate for playing with different colour combinations and patterns. I'll be back soon with a pretty feminine card for one of my grand niece's birthday. Stay tuned for lots and lots of stars!!

Thanks for visiting today.
Karen C.

2 comments:

Leigh Penner said...

Great cards, Karen -- they're so fun! And I love the stamped insides, too!

uncbballfan said...

Love these cards, Karen. And the insides are such a treat!