Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Just a Note: Vintage Style

I've been making note cards lately - something I can use to write a little note of encouragement or 'thinking of you'. It's nice to send birthday cards, but I have some family members  that really appreciate a hand written note in the mail - 'just because'!  This is one that I made for my aunt - she's a very accomplished seamstress and I know she will like the details on this card. 


* This was my first time using the die from Signature Series: Dress form.  
The stamp for the dress form creates a solid coloured image with the word Bliss, but I wanted to use something different, so I stamped the word 'cherish' 
(Stampin' Up: Warm Words) using Versamark and clear embossing powder onto Rustic White card stock. 

* The top of the dress form was coloured with a blending tool and Autumn Rose ink, to allow the word to become clearly visible. I really like the effect and will use it again with other words.  

* I cut several dress forms from card stock so they could be glued together to create a thicker image.
 
* The pink portion was cut and layered on top of another die cut that had been coloured with a dark grey copic marker to create a metallic base. This gives some added dimension to the form.

* A piece of beige ribbon was wrapped around the patterned paper and a bow was mounted on the base of the dress form.


* The patterned paper (Basic Grey) was machine stitched with pink thread and then mounted onto a Rustic White Card Base. 

* The Button Card Die was cut and stamped (sentiment - Postmarks; text - Background Basics: Postmarks; frame - Button Boutique) 

* The paper doily is a circular one that I had in my stash. I wanted an oval one, so I cut it in half and then overlapped the edges. The position of the dress form actually covers the 'seam' fairly well. To add some contrast I mounted a piece of SU Certainly Celery card stock below the doily.

* Three pink beads were glued to the top right corner.


* The inside of the card was decorated with a variety of stamps: a single dash from Button Boutique to create faux stitching around the edge.  The stitching and the sentiment (SS: Dress form) were both stamped with Raspberry Fizz ink. 

* The little circle "frame" (Table Service) was the perfect size to outline the pincushion. (SU: Sew Suite)

Card Details: (PTI, unless noted)
Stamps - Postmarks, Background Basics: Postmarks, Button Boutique, Table Service; SU:Warm Words; Sew Suite
Inks - Autumn Rose, Raspberry Fizz, Fine Linen, Versamark; Close To My Heart: Garden Green
Papers -  Rustic White;   SU: Certainly Celery;  Basic Grey: Sweet Threads
Dies -  Signature Series: Dress form,  Button Card die
Other -  SU: Clear Embossing Powder; paper doily,  Copic markers; pink beads, ribbon, Sukura Gelly Roll pens, sewing machine

Thanks for visiting today.
Karen C.

8 comments:

carol (krillsister) said...

Gorgeous card. Your aunt is going to love this. I love how you created the dressform. The colors are awesome.

Cassie_lu said...

I really like the layering on your card. it ties everything together so nicely.

Jill said...

Karen, you are a genius. So many touches on this card that I would never have thought of. Like how you "changed" the word on the dress form . . . used a single stitch stamp to faux stitch the inside, changed the shape of your doily, used more thicknesses of paper on the form . . . backed the doily with green . . . this is a truly wonderful card, Karen!

Joyce said...

Very pretty, Karen. I also love what you did with the inside.

Leigh Penner said...

Lovely card, Karen!

Rhonda said...

WOW! lots of details Karen. I also love that you changed the word on the dress form. Brilliant!

Mayol said...

This is a gorgeous card, Karen, fitting for your seamstress aunt! Am sure she'll love it! Great design; the beads are my favorite!

Carolyne Aarsen said...

Love this card and the details. So pretty.