Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Monday, April 25, 2011

Papertrey Ink April 2011 Blog Hop


Boys To Men

This month's blog hop is dedicated to all the boys and men in our lives!  
Now's your chance to create Father's Day projects, boy birthday cards 
and more to build up your stash!  Focus on masculine color schemes, 
fresh pattern combinations, understated embellishments and unique 
uses of images you may already have in your stash!

     Many card makers find masculine cards a real challenge, and I'm certainly one who struggles every time I have to make one. Texture and darker, traditional colours  always seem to be a safe approach, with a simple design and only a few embellishments.  

     Here's a card that will be perfect for my brother - his birthday is in the middle of May, 
so I will be ready for his big day!!

     I still haven't received my April Papertrey Ink order, so the little airplane from Fly Away has been stamped on white Bella paper, coloured with copics and then fussy cut.
      PTI's Blueberry Sky card stock was embossed with Stampin'Up's Square Lattice folder to crete the card base. A striped paper was used to form a base for the main image  and then this was mounted onto a cream coloured card stock. Thin strips of co-ordinating circular patterned paper was cut with my scalloped border punch and added to the top and the bottom of the focal panel. 
     Baker's twine and a red button finish off the left side of the card.  I used the circular image with a special delivery sentiment from Postmarks and accented this with the small star image from the same set and then placed it on the top right hand side of the card for some balance.


     The inside of the card uses a sentiment from Fillable Frames #6 . I used the two patterned papers to accent the bottom of the card -  a few thin strips of the striped paper and some punched circles.

Card Details:
Stamps:  PTI Fly Away, Postmarks, Fillable Frames #6
Inks:  CTMH Moonstruck, Cranberry, Holiday Red, Chocolate; Memento Tuxedo Black
Papers:  PTI Blueberry Sky card stock; Bella white card stock; Bazzill Cream textured card stock; We R Memory Keepers patterned paper
Other Supplies:  Stampin'Up Square Lattice Textured Impressions Embossing Folder;  PTI Poppy Red Baker's Twine; red button; scalloped border punch;  circle punches: 1/2" & 7/8";  small corner punch

Thanks for stopping by - Enjoy the rest of the blog hop!!  

Karen

19 comments:

Kara said...

really cute..love the pp you used!!

Cyndie said...

Pure genius! I love the papers and colors you used, the twine details, your masterly coloring, just everything! Thanks for the inspiration!

Suzanne said...

Karen, this is so wonderful! I love those patterns together, you have layered them perfectly, along with that embossed background and the perfectly colored plane. GREAT GREAT CARD!

Crafty Math Chick said...

The plane looks pretty against that striped paper in the background, nicely done.

Anne Tussing said...

Great card! Love the fun colors and dp!

Jen Carter said...

So adorable! I love how you used the twine and teh button down the side!

Renee said...

Adorable!
Love the pp on this one...
they're perfect for it!

Lisa Elton said...

Very cute, I like the color combo!

Chris Simon said...

It doesn't get any better than this! You've used what to me would be a terrifying number of patterns and textures, and it all works perfectly. I love the combination of colors, patterns, and textures.

Jen Adcock said...

Wow! What a handsome card both inside and out! You've colored that biplane to perfection. I adore your color scheme to bits. Such fun!

Lorraine said...

What a beautiful male card! Love the Fly Away stamps (I finally bought them, lol), the papers and all of your creative detailing.

Isha Gupta said...

Lovely card. I like the PPs and the colors of your card.

Tracey McNeely said...

Really fun card, your brother will love it.

Neusinha said...

Lady, your card is beautiful...

Barbara said...

Oh, this is so CUTE!!! Love the sweet boy colors and your great layout!

Michelle said...

The colors and the plane are sooo perfect! And I always love that you pay attention to the details and finish off the inside of your cards too!

Chris said...

Perfect selections! I just love that set! That plane looks fabulous with those pp's!

Kristin said...

Fly Away is one of my faves and I was so glad to see the die set. I *love * your card!! :)

Stephanie said...

Karen.......Your card is so beautiful! I just adore all of those lovely stripes!!! They are perfect for your little plane! Lovely card!