Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Monday, April 4, 2011

Just a Note

     When I have trouble creating a card, I start stamping and colouring images in my stash.  And that's what I did a few weeks ago. One of those images was a  butterfly/flower stamp that hadn't seen any love!!

     I stamped it 2 times with Versamark and embossed with black embossing powder. Then I coloured one of the images in blue, green and yellow and the other one in yellow, pink and orange. I set them all aside in a little pile, hoping to be inspired later. . . . And then I got a parcel with some PTI goodies and made two very different cards. Here's the first one:


     I cut a pink scalloped circle from one of PTI's Limitless Layers 1 3/4` Circle Collection, embossing it with a Cuttlebug polka dot folder and sponging the edges. This was mounted onto one of the doilies from PTI's Doily Details collection. The flower/butterfly image was fussy cut and placed on the pink circle with dimensionals. The center of the image has a pink brad.


     I think this is the first time I have ever used black for a card front, but I really wanted to use this gingham ribbon.  Black seemed like the only background that made the image pop!!  The top portion was embossed with an folder from Stampin'Up to add some texture and the lower portion was created using 5 layers of scallops.  It's all ruffly and girly!!  Dawn McVey  uses this technique often, and it's something I've always wanted to try!!

     The black front edges and scallops were sponged with Fresh Snow ink and then mounted onto a white card base that was sponged with black ink. The sentiment, from the new Postmarks stamp set, was stamped with Versamark and heat embossed with black. Three black accent dots were added to the bottom of the card.


    I decorated the inside of the card with my new Gingham Background stamp and then added a pink rick rack border on top. I know I'm going to do this again. I really like how it has some of the elements from the front and adds a bit of colour. The sentiment, from PTI's Up,Up and Away Sentiments, was stamped in Versamark and heat embossed with black powder.

Flowers and butterflies drift in color, illuminating spring.  ~Author Unknown


Card Details:
Stamps:  PTI Up, Up and Away, Postmarks, Background Basics: Gingham
Inkadinkado Butterfly Flower;   
Inks:  Versamark; PTI Fresh Snow; Memento Tuxedo Black; CTMH Hollyhock
Papers: PTI Stamper's Select White, True Black; pink card stock
Other Supplies:  PTI Doily Details die, Limitless Layers 1 3/4` Circle Collection, Rick Rack Border die; Details Black embossing powder; gingham ribbon; Marvy markers; Kaisercraft black dots; Stampin'Up scallop border punch;  corner rounder punch; 
Embossing folders: Cuttlebug Polka dots, Stampin'Up Square Lattice Textured Impressions.


I'll be back later with my Blue-Green-Yellow version of the Butterfly flower.
I still have a few details to finish.
 
Thanks for visiting. Have a great week!!

3 comments:

Lorraine said...

Wow, stunning! I love how you colored that butterfly flower stamp and your card design (stamp framing and the layered scallops)!

BethieJ said...

Karen this is BEAUTIFUL! I LOVE the butterfly stamp and the color combo is LOVELY!
Have a GREAT day!

Anne B said...

Beautiful card, Karen. Love the focal point and I agree with you about the black background. Thanks for the inspiration re layers of scallops - going to give those a try :)