|3" x 4" Pocket Journal Card|
My last post was in the middle of February; it's time for an update.
If you're here for some craftiness, just scroll down for my card project.
* I had my first surgery (scleral buckle) on Sunday afternoon (Feb. 23) and was sent home the next day, with some concerns. There was still some fluid built up which did not allow the retina to attach. The doctor hoped that in the following days/weeks this would correct itself as my eye absorbed the excess fluid.
March - April, 2014* I continued to be monitored by my own eye specialist; he also consulted with the surgeon. Unfortunately, by March 17th, it was evident that things were not getting better and I was sent back to Winnipeg for a second surgery.
* This time the procedure (Vitrectomy + Gas) was successful, but I had to sleep on my stomach at night and keep my head down during the day for 2 weeks. It was brutal!! Having a gas bubble meant that I couldn`t see out of that eye; I had to limit my activities and I couldn't fly due to increased eye pressure!!
The gas bubble began to dissipate over the last two months. I won't know how much of my vision will be restored for several more months.
May 2014* I returned to Winnipeg for a follow-up appointment with the surgeon. He was pleased that the retina was still attached, but again I was told that my vision would continue to change.
* Nine weeks after my second surgery the last remnants of the gas bubble disappeared. That was certainly something to celebrate!! (Happy Dance) Eventually I will have to be fitted for glasses to correct the changes that have occurred; hopefully my vision will continue to improve over the next few months.
Two Crafty Projects!!
* In the meantime, I have been slowly returning to my craft room.
I can only concentrate for little blocks of time as my vision makes
things distorted. (straight lines look wavy, images look crooked)
which makes the job of lining things up very challenging!!
* I started a card for Make It Monday #152:
Layering Dye & Pigment Ink, before the surgery,
but ran into some trouble with stamping the floral images.
Looking back, I realized this was due to the detached retina.
I couldn't bear to throw it out, so I cut it into a journalling card.
This sentiment seems appropriate considering the last few months!!
I made the card again, this time changing
the position of the flowers and leaves.
Card: Vintage Cream, Smokey Shadow
Background: Woodgrain; Vintage Cream Pigment ink
Images & Sentiment: Happiness in Bloom,
Inks: Hawaiian Shores, Simply Chartreuse, Summer Sunrise, Smokey Shadow (PTI);
Old Olive (Stampin'Up); Twilight (Close To My Heart)
I added an inside panel of Vintage Cream card stock, then stamped
the sentiment (Happiness in Bloom), the flower, leaves and dots.
Thanks for visiting today!!