Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Happy Hexagon Mail

"Summer time .. and the living is easy"  .... 

This phrase sums up my motto this month!! I haven't updated my blog since July 1st!! My son and his girlfriend were visiting from the East Coast and left early this morning, so things might get back to my regular routine!!
I've been doing some crafty projects, but just haven't taken card pictures or written blog posts for a while. I made this card a few weeks ago, and decided to enter Hooked on Hexagons Challenge in the Moxie Fab World.

I had so much fun stamping and organizing the little hexagons using the  
Cover Plate: Hexagons and the stamp set: Happy Hexagons.


I used Nichole Heady's Colour Planning Chart  (from this post), to create the arrangement of 5 coloured hexagons. It made the whole process so easy!!

I made a Colour reference sheet for myself using:
  
    A: Orange  
    B: Harvest Gold
    C: Sweet Leaf
    D: Crystal Blue
    E: Raspberry Fizz


* Although the Happy Hexagon set comes with a large variety of stamps, I kept it simple by using the same design to stamp all of the colours. I used Linen Vellum for the stamped hexagons as it resembles fabric. The turquoise card stock was from a paper pack I purchased from Michaels, but it is very similar to SU's Tempting Turquoise.

* After finishing all the cutting, stamping and assembling, I didn't want to cover up all the pretty little designs. I opted for a sentiment from the Happy Hexagons set, stamped onto a white  card stock square that was stamped with Bitty Background Blocks and impressed with the Canvas Impression Plate. The sentiment was stamped with SU's Tempting Turquoise ink. 


* The heart was die cut several times from the Flip Flop Die collection, so they could be stacked together ... this gives added dimension. (The top layer is stamped onto  the Linen Vellum with Raspberry fizz ink).
* The sentiment panel was mounted onto the turquoise panel (cut with Button Card: Fabric Swatch die) and then mounted to another Harvest Gold square. 
* The pink bow and mini pearl finish the sentiment panel. This allows the 'patchwork' pattern to really take center stage.
 
* The inside of the card uses more Happy Hexagons as a border along the bottom and a sentiment from Up, Up & Away Sentiments.

Card Details  (PTI unless noted) 
Stamps - Happy Hexagons, Bitty Background Blocks, Up, Up & Away Sentiments.
Inks - Raspberry Fizz, Harvest Gold; CTMH: Orange, Sweet Leaf, Crystal Blue; SU: Tempting Turquoise
Paper - Soft Stone, Harvest Gold, Stamper's Select White, Linen Vellum; Recollections: Turquoise
Dies/Plates - Cover Plate: Hexagons, Canvas Impression Plate, Button Card: Fabric Swatch, Flip Flop Die Collection; Nestabilities: Large/Small Classic Squares
Other Supplies - Offray 3/8" Shocking Pink Satin ribbon; CTMH: Bitty Opaques; foam dimensionals

Thanks for visiting today!
Karen C.

10 comments:

carol (krillsister) said...

Cute card. SO colorful. Love how you did the sentiment.

Leigh Penner said...

Super sweet, Karen! I really need to ink up this set....

Anne B said...

Love it! Great summer colours and so effective. I haven't used Nichole's chart yet - must give it a go :)

Joyce said...

This is so pretty, and I love how you incorporated the "happy mail" sentiment. You always do such a nice job of your card insides, too.

Lorraine said...

Oh Karen, your card is so gorgeous! I love the colors and design - oh and the beautiful inside, too! I still have yet to use my hexagon stamps or plate yet...ack!

Cassie_lu said...

such a happy card

Unknown said...

Happy mail, indeed! Love the idea of rhte stacked diecuts - brilliant!

Karen Dunbrook said...

pretty, happy card...

Paper Crafts & Scrapbooking Editor said...

Hey Karen! Thanks for linking this up to the Hooked on Hexagons Challenge in the Moxie Fab World! I'm so glad you joined in on all the fun! :)

nancy said...

This truly would be happy mail to receive. Love the perfect complement of the inside of your card.