Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Garden Delights!!

Debbie Olsen Design

Happy May Day!!

  I have always loved the card Debbie Olsen created for Papertrey Ink's May 2011 Product Release.  You can find the details about her card here .
  
It has so many layers and details that make me think of a happy spring/summer day!!  I wanted to make a card using some of the same elements. 




I started by using the bright green card base and embossing it with 
the Curlique folder. Then I layered lots of PTI goodies onto the base:  


Seed Packet: die cut from white card stock and then stamped with Polka Dot Basics and Summer Sunrise ink. The oval frame (Postmarks) was stamped in Clover Meadow ink. The sentiment (a gift for you) is from Tiny Tags II.

Garden Variety Seed Frame:  cut and stamped onto white card. The sentiments are all from Button Boutique. The frame was then mounted onto the Button Card (also stamped with more Polka Dots)

The Flower Fusion #2 stamp and die, along with the Flower Fusion stem/leaves from Flower Fusion #1 create the main focal point. The center of the flower is stamped with Canyon Clay ink using an image from Flower Fusion #4.  I stamped the leaves on both sides of the card stock and curled them up so they stand away from the stem. You can see all the dimension above.


Picket Fence:  stamped with Background Basics: Wood grain and the flowers and grass from Garden Variety. The addition of some butterflies and Baker's twine create another layer of detail. I also added pearls to the center of the flower and the butterflies.

The inside of the card uses more of the flower images from Flower Fusion #2 and the sentiment from Flower Fusion #1 finishes the inside of the card.

Card Details:
Stamps -  PTI: Flower Fusion #1, #2, #4;  Background Basics: Wood grain; Polka Dot Basics, Garden Variety, Postmarks, Tiny Tags II, Button Boutique
Inks -  PTI Summer Sunrise, Canyon Clay;  CTMH: Clover Meadow; Memento Tuxedo Black
Papers -  PTI: Summer Sunrise, Stamper's Select White; SU: Whisper White;  
Best Occasions "Brights" Card Stock Pack
Dies -  PTI:  Button Card Die,  Seed Packet Frame, Seed Packet,   
Flower Fusion #2, Flower Fusion Stem, Picket Fence,
Stampin'Up "Beautiful Wings" Embosslits
Other - The Twinery Bakers Twine; Kaisercraft pearls; Sizzix Curlique Embossing folder; 
Sakura Clear Gelly Roll pen; corner rounder

8 comments:

Leigh Penner said...

Hey, this card looks familiar! I have one just like it displayed on my shelf in my craft room--- it's so pretty, Karen! My daughter was looking at it the other day, too, and trying to figure out how you did the texture. :)

Karen C. said...

Yes. Leigh, this is "your" card. I had taken pictures earlier, but never posted it on my blog. I thought it would make a good May Day card!! I used a Sizzix embossing folder on the green card stock. Since it has a white core, I was able to 'sand' the raised areas to remove the green and allow the white core to show through.

Leigh Penner said...

Ah, that's how you did it! I'll have to tell my daughter.... although then she'll want me to buy some cardstock with a white core.... ;) It's a lovely card, Karen! Thanks so much for sending it to me!

BethieJ said...

Karen this is so PRETTY!! Love your take on Debbies card (I too LOVED hers!)
Have a GREAT day!

BethieJ said...

I had to go back and do a close up of the background after your reply to Leigh.. hmmm thinking I should dust off my old CTMH papers now! :)

Mariana said...

What a great card!! Love the texture and you are so detailed, even the inside is done perfectly!!

Anonymous said...

This is such a cute card!! I love the fence, jelly of the seed packet die (cuz it's super adorable) and I love the way you stamped on the leaves on 2 sides!

Anne B said...

Love the gorgeous colour scheme your chose, Karen. And the decorated iside just finished it off so perfectly. You've inspired me to do more with the inside of some of my cards :)