Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Thursday, April 19, 2012

A Flowery Hello!

Every Monday Papertrey Ink posts a new Make It Monday video. I decided that I would like to challenge myself to try some of them. Unfortunately, I'm a very slow crafter and it seems that I am continually behind!! So once again I wasn't able to enter this for the MIM #61 deadline!! In this video, Dawn McVey showed how to check your stash of dies to find something different to use to make 3-D flowers.   Can you guess which die I used to make each little petal of the flower below? (Check out the answer at the end of this post!!)

I started with a white card base that I impressed with Vineyard Impression Plate and sponged the edges with green ink. Then I added various layers:

1. The Ad Sense die was cut from patterned paper and a layer of white cardboard, then cut in half to make it stretch across the width of the card front. Two thin strips of green card stock were added to the Ad Sense die to give the illusion of a narrow ribbon. The edges of the patterned paper were sponged with Garden Green ink. (Close to My Heart).

2. The 2.5" Limitless Layers Circle die was cut from Berry Sorbet.



3. White card stock was cut with a Doily Details die.

4. Mehndi Medallion was stamped onto white card stock with Garden Green ink. I then hand cut the medallion so that it created the look of leaves. The points of the 'leaves' were sponged with green ink and curled.




5. Some light pink card stock (from my stash) was stamped with Background Basics: Sheet Music before cutting the leaves from Simple Sunflower dies (8 from each of the two sizes). Two small card stock circles were used as a base to glue the petals. The smaller circle of petals was added to the larger petal grouping with dimensional foam dots. All of the petals were curled forward to create some added dimension.


6. A white button was tied with a 1/8" white ribbon and glued to the center of the flower. 

7. The tiny sentiment: "hello" (from Mega Mixed Messages) was tucked under the 'leaves' for a finishing touch. 


Here's the set of dies I used to cut my 'flower petals". To save paper, I used lots of little scraps of card stock and centered them over the single leaves.  I knew I was saving those little snippets for something!!


Card Details: (Papertrey Ink, unless noted)
Stamps - Mehndi Medallion, Background Basics: Sheet Music, Mega Mixed Messages
Inks - Berry Sorbet; Garden Green (Close To My Heart)
Paper - Berry Sorbet, Stamper's Select White;  SU Certainly Celery Designer Series Patterns; pink and green card stock from my stash.
Dies - Limitless Layers 2.5" Circles, Doily Details, Simple Sunflower
Other - Vineyard Impression Plate; Corner rounder; white button and 1/8" white ribbon

Thanks for visiting today.
Karen C.

4 comments:

carol (krillsister) said...

WoW! This card is stunning. Love all the details. Great colors too!

Lynn Put said...

What a lovely card! I really like all of your pretty layers and your color combo!

BethieJ said...

Karen this is LOVELY! Such a PRETTY flower!!
Have a GREAT day!

Jill said...

Karen: Gorgeous. Clever. Beautifully executed. I am saving this card to my inspiration file because it's spectacular! So many clever touches. I absolutely love it!