Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Papertrey Ink January 2012 Blog Hop



This month, in honor of the new year, Papertrey Ink has challenged us to pick a 
favorite project from 2011 and share it!  To take it a step further, we were to create 
a second card that is inspired by the selected "favorite project".  The new version 
of an old favorite could carry over the color scheme, the layout or the stamp sets.
 
When I received my order for Stitches and Swirls and the Bloom Builder #3 I knew I wanted to create a card with both of these items. I made this card in December 2011 and it quickly became one of my favorites of the year. The full post can be found here. The cranberry, cream and tea dye duo colour scheme seemed to suit the holiday season.


Here is another version of this card using a different colour scheme ...... something a little brighter as a birthday card for my sister-in-law. 

Blue is a her favourite colour, so I created the lower plaid pattern (Waltzingmouse Stamps) with Dutch Blue and Bamboo inks from Close to My Heart. The Stitches and Swirls images were stamped with Bamboo ink and then the same ink was sponged on the edges of the card. The blue grosgrain ribbon from my stash was a perfect match to the blue ink. The sentiment,  from Mega Mixed Messages, was also stamped with Dutch Blue ink.

I couldn't find a blue card stock in my stash that matched the ink and ribbon... the one I finally chose for the Bloom Builder, was a lighter blue, so I stamped all of the petals with Dutch Blue using Text Style.  I stamped a piece of  Vintage Cream card stock with Polka Dot Basics and Bamboo ink.

Here are some of the layers of 'petals' after stamping, die cutting and sponging the edges. You can see the lighter blue card stock and the effect of stamping in the darker blue. It created just the right colour match to the ribbon and a little extra texture detail on the blooms as well!
The beige polka dot 'flower'  (above left) was cut using Stampin'Up  Daisy #2 die and then placed under the blue blossom.  It created another layer and coordinates with the Bamboo ink and the button and embroidery floss.

Here's a close up of the final bloom .... I love the fullness that you can achieve when 10 layers of card stock are used.   I think I may have to make this again using pinks .... and peachy tones ..... and lemon yellows ..... and violets ...
I think I will just have to create a whole rainbow of coloured Blooms!!
Can you tell that this is one of my favourite designs ? !!



The inside of the card uses another image from the Stitches and Swirls set and a sentiment from Daydreamer. I stamped the flower and leaf image in Bamboo ink and then went back over the flower with a blue marker to get the two colour effect. It was fast and easy and added a little something extra to the inside.



Card Details:
Stamps-  PTI: Stitches and Swirls. Mega Mixed Messages, Text Style, Polka Dot Basics, Daydreamer;  
Waltzingmouse: Off Beat Backgrounds
Inks-  CTMH Bamboo, Dutch Blue
Paper-  PTI Vintage Cream; blue card stock from my scrap stash.
Dies-  PTI: Bloom Builder #3;   Stampin' Up  Flower: Daisies #2 die
Other Supplies-  blue grosgrain ribbon; PTI Lemon Tart button, embroidery floss; blue marker

Thanks for visiting today. Enjoy the rest of the Papertrey Ink Blog Hop.
Karen C. 

32 comments:

Ally said...

I love both these cards. The plaid is so perfect, and I love it with the stitches and swirls stamps. Love those Bloom Builder 3 flowers, and great job on matching the blues to the ribbon - turned out great! ;-) Fantastic cards.

Tracey McNeely said...

I love both your cards, but how totally creative of you to stamp the petals and to use a different colour for the base! Very CASEABLE. ;)

carol (krillsister) said...

I remember your original card. Loved it then and still do. the one is blue is just as pretty. Love the flower. Stamping the text on it is awsome and really addto to it. Love the backing behind the flower too!

Rebecca Deeprose said...

Beautiful variation on a theme! Love your new colors and the details of your flower creation!

Luanne said...

Karen, I adored the first card of yours and saved it to Pinterest! I love it just as much in blue. That is a gorgeous bloom!

Marge said...

I just have to say, "WOW" -- these are both AWESOME cards, gorgeous in their simplicity, but stamping your paper before die cutting is ingenious and made all the difference in the world -- I'll definitely be trying this & I NEED that Bloom Builder die!!!

Lisa Elton said...

Oh a duo of BEAUTIFUL blooms!!! Great cards ;)

Jessica Wekenman said...

Oh so pretty! I love them both, and I love how you were able to make the same card more holiday festive, then by changing the colors, it's perfect for a birthday! You really have me wishing I'd gotten that Bloom Builder! I love how you stamped the different part with Polka dots and Text Style and were able to create the cardstock color you needed! :)

Cyndie said...

Totally awesome cards! I love the color schemes of both of them, and I actually have that flower die. So wanting to CASE--may I?

Sadie said...

So pretty!! Just love that blue and yellow combo and I think your extra stamping is awesome on the flower!! Love that die, gotta have it : )

Kristen :-) said...

So pretty! So many details! I love that you layered the bloom onto a contrasting color die as well! I also love the Stitches and swirls - its so subtle, but so effective.

Wendy ten Hove said...

These are super gorgeous! I love the colors you chose for your new card! And stamping on the flowers really made them extra special! And the inside as well!!! Sooo pretty!
Hugs, Wendy

Kara said...

great cards...very pretty!!

Joyce said...

Both of your cards are so pretty. I love how you created your bloom builder--very clever way to get a matching flower. Thanks for showing the inside, too. I often try to do something on the inside of my cards, and it is nice to get more ideas.

sugacatz said...

gotta love the use of that flower. LEsley

Leigh Penner said...

Beautiful cards, Karen!

Chris said...

Beautiful, Karen! That is one fabulous flower. How smart to ink up the petals to match!

Ted said...

Karen, I love these colors! And that flower takes center stage! :)

Carol's Ink Spot said...

Love your card! Beautiful flower and I like your idea to use pattern paper to build it.

The Paper Parade said...

That plaid stamping is awesome! And I love how you stamped the text onto your mum :)

Susan Rob said...

Pretty cards! Love the design and the stamping with stitches and swirls.

Terri said...

They are both great. Love the plaid and the flowers too.

Lizzie Jones said...

That flower is so dramatic! I love the backgrounds that you built here, too. Really lovely card. Thank you for sharing!

Marybeth said...

Very stunning! The detail on the flower is so pretty. Love both cards !

Diane said...

Very pretty...the "stitching" stamped part looks just like DS paper...really neat...loving that flower and bet your sister-inlaw will, too!

victoria h said...

Ooh I love the mums die too. I've inked it but hadn't thought about stamping patterns onto it- they look gr8 this way.

Kay D said...

I love these cards SO much! The layout, the colors, the background stamping, and of course, that big yummy flower- these are both just perfect!

JJ Bolton said...

Stunning flowers! I love that little something extra the stamped text gives to the flowers. And your plaid stamping is the best! I've been wanting those WMS for forever! TFS!

Purrfect Paper Creations said...

Great cards Carol! I love the Stitches and Swirls, it just looks awesome. And the flowers are amazing!

Chris L.

Suzanne Russell said...

Karen, I love both cards. I know your SIL will be delighted. Thanks for sharing the details regarding the alteration of your blue cardstock. It really worked beautifully!

Jen Adcock said...

Outstanding! I can see why this look of card is your favourite. It/they is/are so gorgeous! I love the plaid. I am just crazy about it in fact. It looks so textile like. I also am gaga over your bloom. Its mixed construction is fantastic and has really tjuzed up the BB3 die wonderfully. Very inspiring work Oh Talented One.

Hope you're well. X

Danielle said...

I love these cards! Stamping the petals was genius. it adds the perfect touch.