Welcome to my crafty blog... a "garden" of colourful cards, quilting, sewing projects, knitting...and what ever else happens along the way!!


Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Princess Birthday

     My nephew's daughter will be celebrating her fourth birthday later this month. She loves princesses and the colour purple so I decided to make her a little princess birthday card and a matching bag.  When I was a little girl I always loved going to the library to find a collection of books to bring home. This book bag will hold lots of goodies!!


     I've had this Stamping Bella's Everyday Princess stamp for a while and knew that it would be a fun image for her card. I stamped it with Memento Tuxedo Black ink onto PTI's Stampers' Select White card stock and coloured it with copic markers. A few pink rhinestones were added to the crowns.

     Once it was cut and embossed with a Nestabilities die, I sponged the edges with some purple ink and then mounted it on a piece of patterned paper. A small lavender bow was added to the image panel. The card base was made with pink card stock that was embossed with a Sizzix embossing folder.
     The inside of the card was finished with sentiments from Big Birthday Wishes and Everyday Button Bits. The number "4"   (PTI's By the Numbers die set)  was cut from the patterned paper and mounted onto purple paper, cut with one of the Limitless Layers 1 3/4" circles. Purple dashes outline the number and the circle. Pink dots and purple dashes were added to the outside edges of the white card stock. 
The accent strip on the bottom of the card was made by cutting a piece of the patterned paper and mounting it onto the purple paper that had been punched with a dotted scallop border punch.

Here's a closer view of the fabric purchased on a recent shopping trip. 

Here's the book bag that I made for Lilly. I had some pink fabric in my stash, so I made strips along the pockets and the top of the bag to add a little brightness. It has similar design details as these:  here  and  here, that I made for my other grand nieces.


Card Details:
Stamps:  Stamping Bella Everyday Princess; PTI Big Birthday Wishes, Everyday Button Bits.
Inks:  Memento Tuxedo Black, SU Pixie Pink, Lovely Lilac
Papers:  PTI Stamper's Select white; pink card stock; purple and patterned paper from my scrap box
Other Supplies:  Nestabilities Labels #4; PTI By the Numbers die set;  Kaisercraft rhinestones; lavender ribbon;  EK Success Dotted Scallop border punch; copic markers; pink and purple Marvy markers; Embossing folder: Sizzix Curlique; corner rounder.


I've been busy sewing over the past week. 
My 5th grand niece was born last week and I made a few little things for her. You can see those sewing projects here.

Thanks for visiting. Have a great day!!
Karen C.

7 comments:

Chris said...

How sweet, Karen! I just love how you finish the insides of your cards! She will love her gift!

Lorraine said...

What a lucky little girl - that bag is so pretty and specially made just for her! Your princess card is adorable and I love that you designed the inside too!

Michelle said...

Gosh, Karen - can I be adopted in to your family and get handmade things as gifts? The little girls in your family are so luck that you are so talented and crafty. Perfect little sweet bag for the princess!

Jen Adcock said...

Fab! Fab! Fab! And with a dash of fairy dust to boot! What wonderful creations. The bag is wonderful, I can see myself prancing around the shops looking a million bucks with that bag for sure. ;-) So I know the lucky 4 year old will be "stylin'". So much by way of glorious detail. Amazing!

Unknown said...

WOW Karen! What 4 y.o. girl wouldn't LOVE this bag and card!! These are the exact colors my 5 y.o. picked for her birthday :) I love that image and you colored her so well!

Janelle said...

What a cute little bag, Karen. And the matching card is fabulous. I especially love the inside... kids love to see their "number" so having the 4 inside the card was just perfect! Great idea to add the dashed lines around the edges... really makes an impact!

Trees said...

What a sweet gift! I know a few almost 4yr olds who would love this! I bet it was a hit!